Recipe: Spiced Texas Pulled Pork Sandwich
Hey y’all! Happy Fourth of July! Looking for a new spicy recipe to show off during the fireworks tomorrow?
How about a saucy sandwich prepared by one of our very own spicy vixens! Inspired by her Southern Texas roots, healthy Cali ways, and love for spiced wine– enjoy Jessica Choate’s delicious creation.
For the Pork
- 1 c Spicy Vines Original Blend
- 4lbs Lean Organic/High quality Pork Shoulder or Loin
- ¼ Onion chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 1 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 step fresh crushed pepper
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- ½ cup water
For the Sauce
- 7½ cups Spicy Vines Original Blend
- ¼ cup Finley chopped onion
- 2 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp crushed pepper
- 2 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- ½ cup bacon fat
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 18oz Organic Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsp Liquid Amino
- 5 tsp BBQ smoke house pepper seasoning (to your liking)
- 12 oz water
- ½ brown sugar (can add more to taste of your liking)
- ¼ can beer
For the Slaw
- ½ Head of Cabbage finely shredded and/or chopped
- 3 cooked beets shaved (I used the organic packaged Red Beets from Trader Joes)
- ½ cup Apple cider Vinegar
- ½ cup Spicy Vines Wine
- ¼ cup Fresh Dill
- 2 tbsp spoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/3 cup Organic unprocessed Sugar
For the Side
- Hawaiian rolls
DirectionsPork: Leave the fat for flavor or trim some off for the sauce. Place chopped onion in Crockpot (set to low) and the pork fat side down. Add all other ingredients on top and around the pork. Cover and leave for 12 hours!
Sauce: With a medium to large saucepan, melt bacon fat on low heat. Add onion and garlic (slightly sauté before adding the tomato paste, water, wine, vinegar and seasonings). Lightly whisk and add sugar and beer. Cool, cover, and place in fridge overnight. Heat and stir when ready to serve (add more beer to your liking).
Slaw: Add all ingredients in a large bowl and mix.
Cut buns in half. Add spoonful of pork, slaw, and topped with sauce. Serve with favorite fresh salad, fruits or veggies!
*Serves: 24 Sliders